Don Bosco Technical Institute
Henderson, Solomon Islands
The Don Bosco Technical Institute is run by the Salesians of Don Bosco. It is located directly opposite the Laura Vicuna Hostel in Henderson, not far from the capital, Honiara on the island of Guadalcanal. Don Bosco Technical Institute offers job-oriented courses to young men and women who are left out of the educational system due to their poor performance in the state examinations after Grade 9, 11 and 12.
Students spend two years in the institute and almost one year in industry before they graduate. They are offered a variety of other educational experiences while in school. There is a hostel for young men on campus called ‘Rua Haus’ where about 20 students of DBTI reside. The Salesian sisters are across the road and have a hostel for young ladies undergoing studies at DBTI. There are lots of opportunities for volunteers to be involved in sports and other extra-curricular activities.
The Cagliero Project sent its first volunteer to the Solomon Islands in 2011 to work at the Laura Vicuna Hostel. Our volunteers at the Hostel have also previously assisted at the school. The Cagliero Project would like to extend its presence to the Technical School in a formal capacity and is seeking volunteers for the school.
Don Bosco Technical Institute needs volunteers to work in the following areas:
- Teaching basic skills in computer
- Teaching students in mathematics, knows as ‘Trade Maths’
- Assisting teachers in automotive technology, construction, carpentry and joinery
- Assistant teaching in hospitality an tourism
- Teaching communications, English, Music, singing and Drama
- Assisting in the local Salesian parish
- Giving formation talks, workshops or retreats on personal and spiritual development